Road widening and access works for developer of childcare centre at Piggabeen Road, Currumbin (completed August 2018)
This road widening and drainage project included:
- Traffic Control
- Trimming and compaction of subgrade to roads
- Gravel pavement including supply, spread, water and compaction
- Concrete encasing of Telstra line
- Asphaltic concrete surfacing to DTMR requirements
- Stormwater Drainage including excavation, supply, lay, joint and HS2 bedding/ backfill
- Construct concrete inlets and outlets
- Pavement Marking
Project Challenges- in the Air, the Ground and to the Creek
Keeping safe under powerlines, avoiding creek pollution and an NBN service relocation.
The verge next to the works was under a power line so great care was taken with the use of excavation equipment. An Energex certified spotter was employed at all times to ensure the safety of workers. NBN ground lines had to be relocated, which entailed coordinating with Telstra . The project was next to Currumbin Creek so Akela had to manage the risks of environmental pollution by installing a floating barrier on the creek, water filled road barriers around site and sand bags.
Despite these varied challenges, the project was a success and our staff enjoyed learning some new skills (check out Anthony on the roller!). Thanks also go to Anthony for taking the impressive aerial photos using his drone.